Friday, June 02, 2006

St. Joe....Oh, My!

This post is regarding Memaw's family (Sallie Keeling's mother, Nell Terrill's familiy...) The Terrills, Mays, and Coopers...

Let me just say that I have found out A BUNCH of info on Memaw's family from St. Joe and Gilbert, AR. I will have to sit and type it all up, but it's a colorful history to say the least. ;)

Yesterday, I woke up at 5am and drove to Marshall, AR, which is about 5 1/2 hrs away from KC. Memaw and Daddy met me here and we spent about 3 hours in the courthouse (handling OLD documents...) and in the local library digging up the past. Then, we went to talk with Janis White, who owns and runs the St. Joe Mercantile and it turns out she's Daddy's 4th cousin! It's a small town, that's for sure. She has the most amazing memory and ability to tell stories that I've ever heard. She spouts out dates and locations and tells you how everyone's related and connected and it was all I could do to scribble down notes as she talked to us for about 4 hours... So much information... I am going to start typing it up, though and we'll see if I can't make it into a nice narrative story that will leave you (kind readers) spellbound and enthralled...

Today, we got up and went to the Searcy County Library to listen to some lectures on genealogy from a man who runs the AR State Archives. His name was Baker. He was very interesting and gave me MANY ideas on how to go about my research and even offered to help if I send him emails asking for direction and help. Very nice. :)

More info to come... I need to get busy typing it all up...

No comments: